Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

I must say, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) was probably one of the most enjoyable films I’ve seen in this course thus far. I wouldn’t call myself a sci-fi buff by any means, but sci-fi movies are always entertaining to me, and this one provided the right amount of suspense and thrill to hold my attention.
I had seen this movie once in high school and I guess not appreciated its appeal as I do now.

It’s quite fascinating really the effect tthat this film has, cinematically. The one scene i can’t shake from my memory is the scene where all of the infected people walk in unison, towards the delta in the middle of the street. They all come from different directions but they walk in a uniform fashion. It’s so incredibly eerie! I feel like this sci-fi works better than many films of our generation. Right now, we are in the era of the blockbuster, and the films that come out nowadays are only focused on profiting two or three times the amount that it cost to make the movie to begin with. There’s more focus now on the special effects, and the loud explosions, and the Michael Bay-type sci-fi films that can cause the most spectacle. I feel like Invasion of the Body Snatchers didn’t need any of that. It  stood on its low-budget alone and still successfully stood as a disturbing sci-fi film.

I mean, come on, plant pods taking over Los Angeles? Sounds crazy! It would not work in cinema in our present time. But if you can just imagine the American mindset at this time, and the fear that was subconsciously on the minds of many Americans, the paranoia aspect of the film really takes a toll on you. As I put myself in the time period of the 1950’s, where America’s paranoia was ever present, you can see how this film can tap into the psyche of the American public and identify with what was going on in the real-life political world. The film is allegorical in terms of its representation of paranoia; Americans were scared of and resistant toward a spread of socialist Communism. The loss of human emotion is even mentioned by the doctor at one point in the film, which hints at the ideas of Communism (conformity with no individuality).

Again, this film was kind of disturbing, but all in all it was a great watch and really entertaining. I wish I had more to say but it’s kind of late and my eyes feel heavy and thus my train of thought is no longer on track. I must sleep now in order to make on time to class tomorrow morning.

Till next time.

9 Responses to “Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)”

1.    Natalie Bernabe Says:

I’m not crazy about sci-fi movies as well, having not even seen 2 starwars movies, but this film, for its time, was incredibly well made. As you said, it still left a creepy, and eerie feeling especially with the town square scene. The allegorical themes were not admitted by the director and producers, but the the movie did hint at it. I also like the fact that you compare this sort of low-budget film as being more successful than one of ‘Michael Bay’s’ films.

2.    annarodionova Says:

Yeah, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) was really fun to watch! Just like you I’m not a fan of sci-fi movies, but this one was entertaining to watch. I really like that it didn’t have all of this fake computer effects that movies of our era have. The absence of all these crazy made up effects actually made the Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) look more natural and creepy at the same time. “Is it really happening? Oh no it is just a movie”- the thoughts I had in my head while watching.

3.    raspberry Ketone Review Says:

of course like your web site but you need to take a look at the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very troublesome to inform the reality on the other hand I’ll surely come again again.

4.    raf Says:

Howdy! This article could not be written much better! Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept talking about this. I’ll forward this information to him. Pretty sure he’s going to have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

5.    lifelock discount Says:

Simply desire to say your article is as astounding. The clarity in your post is just spectacular and i can assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the enjoyable work.
    lifelock discount http://www.slideshare.net/couponbeezy/life-lock-promo-code

6.    v2 cigs coupon Says:

This site definitely has all the information I needed about this subject and didn’t know who to ask.
    v2 cigs coupon https://www.facebook.com/v2cigscouponcode2013

7.    bitdefender free mac Says:

I’ve been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting
    article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me.

Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be much more useful
    than ever before.

8.    coupon code Says:

Hey there, You have done an excellent job. I’ll certainly digg it
    and personally suggest to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this site.

9.    theauxiliaries.net Says:

theauxiliaries.net

MEDST144 – History of Cinema II » Blog Archive » Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)